For nearly two decades, Con Edison Solutions, Con Edison Development, and Con Edison Energy have been leading national providers of retail and wholesale energy services. Now, they are part of Con Edison Clean Energy Businesses, a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc.
Con Edison Solutions is an experienced, multi-disciplined, U.S.-based energy services company (ESCO) building sustainable and resilient energy infrastructure for our clients’ facilities nationwide. Our clients include all levels of government and education, hospitals and healthcare, businesses, and homeowners, and we offer a variety energy efficiency programs, renewable power systems and energy advisory and procurement services.
Our team of energy experts has earned Con Edison Solutions the reputation of being a highly-trusted energy solutions provider that helps our clients improve their buildings’ overall energy performance so they can remain focused on their primary activity.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for developing and designing energy efficiency and capital improvement projects, by identifying, assessing, and structuring technical and financial solutions to meet customer objectives. This individual will identify and quantify energy conservation opportunities associated with HVAC, EMS, building envelope and heating and cooling systems. Responsibilities include site investigations, performing energy savings calculations, designing HVAC, EMS and Central Plant systems, developing cost estimates and written descriptions of energy conservation measures in support of Design Build, EPC proposals and technical audits.
1. Assist the sales staff to screen and qualify the feasibility of energy efficiency and capital improvement opportunities. This will involve attending selected customer meetings, conducting site trips to collect facility and utility data; and developing and running energy screening models to determine the technical and economic viability of energy efficiency and capital improvement projects. Screening models include: bin analyses, hourly building simulation computer models, and commercially-available analysis packages.
2. Further develop, define and dimension technically and economically feasible applications by performing preliminary engineering/design, project metering and measurements of critical parameters, and coordinating with external vendors and contractors to develop designs and technical proposals.
3. Develop technical scope of work for selected technologies and manage internal and external engineering resources in order to determine cost and schedule.
4. Perform analyses and generate applications for utility rebates associated with energy efficiency projects.
5. Drive the technical due diligence from initial screen until turnover to the project management group for the implementation phase. This will involve identifying known risks (i.e. technical, construction, price, schedule, environmental, warranties, performance guarantees etc.), and indicate impact and how they will be addressed and mitigated.
6. Support proposal development. Provide the majority of the proposal input, including detailed technical project descriptions, legal risk and responsibility definitions, financial descriptions, and detailed supporting documentation of contractor quotes, simulation results, and cost and savings derivations.
7. Perform technical consulting assignments as required to support specific client requests.
8. Provide assistance to Project Management Group to support implementation of projects including design and preparation of contract documents (plans and specifications) of HVAC, EMS and central plant systems for bid and permit.
• Undergraduate engineering (BS) degree required.
• Registered Progessional Engineer (PE) preferred.
• 5 plus years of experience in HVAC,EMS and central plant design preferred.
• Experience in energy analysis to identify, screen and develop energy conservation measures for EPC and design build projects; develop EMS control strategies to reduce energy consumption; develop detailed cost estimates for selected energy conservation measures; and interface with customer facility personnel.
• Able to plan and manage the development of selected project opportunities and to direct the activities of internal and external resources to achieve deadlines.
• Able to interact effectively across organizational boundaries to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
• Experience implementing MEP and Performance Contracting projects desirable.
• Specific experience with building energy systems including HVAC, Central Utilities and Electrical Systems.
• Must have good analytical and computer skills and attention to detail.
• Experience in the overall integration of design engineering, construction, start-up/turnover, and subsequent operation and maintenance of energy projects.
• Strong leadership, verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
• Engineering, analytical and technical writing skills, including word processing and spreadsheet analyses.
• Building energy use modeling and simulation experience desirable (e.g. eQUEST, HAP, DOE2, Trane Trace, ASHRAE Modified Bin Analysis).
• Experience in various utility rebate programs offered for electrical and gas efficiency projects desirable.
• Design experience with HVAC and other building systems.
• AutoCAD proficiency required.
• Able to travel to project sites (up to 20% of time) in order to verfiy existing conditions and identify potential energy conservation measures.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Consolidated Edison is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, affirms in policy and practice its commitment to recruit, hire, train, and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship, eligible veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Con Edison is a federal contractor subject to VEVRAA and desires to receive priority referrals of protected veterans.
You must be eligible to work in the US independent of company sponsorship.